Office of Disability Rights

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

A Note on Personal Adult Relationships

The laws of the District of Columbia do not keep adults with physical or mental disabilities from having a boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband, or partner.  In fact, an adult with a disability may ask to spend time privately or alone with an adult of their choosing.  Care givers or residential staff must give persons with disabilities private time on a daily basis, if it is requested.  If you have questions about personal adult relationships, you may talk with a healthcare provider, a member of your support team or a family member.